This is a regularly updated index of the best of the best on Twitter and Instagram. Brands that stick out like a sore thumb – in a good way – because they act like humans, rather than faceless corporations. Also factored into this ranking index but not the number one factor – the number of followers the brands have. Our ranking methodology is listed here (towards middle of the article.)
What makes an epic brand on social media – in short
We often lead with web design and SEO – but social is a powerful way to interact regularly – and the best brands participate in conversations in a way that endears people to them, and makes them magnetic. Even if you don’t love Wendy’s burgers – you may have seen one of their epic trolls on McDonald’s like this one:
.@McDonalds So you’ll still use frozen beef in MOST of your burgers in ALL of your restaurants? Asking for a friend.
— WENDY'S SPICY NUGGETS ARE BACK!!! (@Wendys) March 30, 2017
Ultimately, it humanizes them. Their social media marketing team has a very clear tone and feel that they can implement together – with autonomy, and in a natural and cohesive way.
Looking a savvy marketing team? Some of the niches we serve: Roofing Marketing & Lead Gen, HVAC Marketing & Lead Gen, Construction Marketing & Lead Gen, Plumbing Marketing & Lead Gen. We also drive leads for all kinds of Home Services, including Solar, Windows & Doors, Electricians, and Remodelers.
4 Honorable Mentions
1. iHop – Instagram 21k followers | Twitter 33k followers.
One thing that makes them great: Tons of free P.R. from their stunt – changing their name from iHop to iHob for few weeks.
— Ad Age (@adage) June 13, 2018
2. eBay – Instagram 21k followers | Twitter 33k followers.
One thing that makes them great: Consistent, active and using features like polls to create engagement
— eBay (@eBay) March 29, 2019
One thing that makes them great: Shot someone across Los Angeles, causing a P.R. uproar, and making Twitter and Instgram go nuts.
WATCH: A meteor soared across the Los Angeles sky Wednesday — or did it? A Red Bull Air Force wingsuit flyer tricked amateur astronomers as he performed a stunt in a custom suit with sparking pyrotechnics, jumping from a helicopter at 4,000 feet https://t.co/Lo4avn6G9J pic.twitter.com/rqfr7KI5wa
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) March 21, 2019
4. Hamburger Helper – Twitter 30.2k followers.
One thing that makes them great: Literally made their own mixtape with rappers rapping about hamburger helper – hilariously overboard.
— XXL Magazine (@XXL) April 2, 2016
Top 10 Social Media – General / All
(Numbers as of indexing – latest index: March 2019)
- Wendy’s – Instagram 842k followers | Twitter 3 million followers
- Coca Cola – Instagram 2.6 million Followers | Twitter 3.3 million followers
- PlayStation – Instagram 17.1 million followers | Twitter 16.2 million followers
- Chanel – Instagram 33.9 million followers | Twitter 13.2 million followers
- Xbox – Instagram 8.7 million followers | Twitter 13.2 million followers
- Starbucks – Instagram 17.4 million followers | Twitter 11.4 million followers
- Dove – Instagram 417k Followers | Twitter 193k followers
- Nike – Instagram 86.1 million followers | Twitter 7.7 million followers
- Tesla – Instagram 5.5 million followers | Twitter 3.5 million followers
- Netflix – Instagram 13.8 million followers | Twitter 5.8 million followers
Social Media Brand Index Ranking Methodology
Followers: How many people are following them on social media?
Visibility: How many mentions across the web are they getting?
Growth: How quickly are they growing / or not growing?
Engagement: How often is their follower base interacting with them?
Sentiment: Are people generally reacting positively to them?
Segment: Where is that in comparison to their competitors?
Top 10 Alcohol Brands by Social Media + Sentiment
Top 9 Technology Brands by Social Media + Sentiment
Top 10 Restaurant Brands by Social Media + Sentiment
Top 10 Medical Brands by Social Media + Sentiment
Top 10 Financial Brands by Social Media + Sentiment
Top 10 Food + Beverage Brands by Social Media + Sentiment
Top 10 Consumer Packaged Goods by Social Media + Sentiment
Top 10 Fashion Brands by Social Media + Sentiment