Hook Agency doesn’t have any deals with any manufacturers as of writing this. We’re just trying to find out what is the real best shingle. We looked at major publications, we received demonstrations from top brands, and we surveyed the industry.
So this article will share in detail, what contractors believe is the best shingle on the market.
Here’s a quick rundown of how top roofing shingle brands, stack up amongst the pack:
- GAF is the largest roofing shingle manufacturer and was founded in 1886. (GAF can get classified as having the most options)
- Owens Corning is another extremely large manufacturer, and a Fortune 500 company for more than 57 years – but LARGENESS does not necessarily mean they are the best. (Owens Corning often gets classed as an Affordable winner)
- Certainteed is called a high-end brand
- Malarkey has been named ‘Best Overall’ in other lists
- TAMKO has been said to have low quality.
- IKO also takes up the bottom end of quality.
Roofers share why they love certain shingles in 2023:
What are the Best Roofing Shingles?
Malarkey Shingles are the best roofing shingles, according to contractors online and a cross-section of authorities on the subject.
Here is what real roofers have to say what companies have the best roofing shingles today!
“Love the Malarkey Shingles.”
“They hold up so well. We can look at neighborhoods houses done with other brands at the same time in 2013. The malarkey looks 5 years newer. That speaks for itself. 🤷♀️”
“Malarkey hands down, super large nail strip”
Malarkey hands down, super large nail strip outperforms every other shingle in durability especially the IR ones. Granules embedded vs laid on top and the sealants… where they lay there for good and the sealants are also highly elastic which is great for long term durability. No competition”
“Atlas – for their warranty”
Great rep, awesome warranty just need to use 4 of there products, don’t have to upsell a better warranty.
Had one color issue which I asked for 2 slopes to be replaced and Atlas came back and said we will pay 100 percent cost for roof to be tore off and replaced.”
“Atlas Pinnacle HP”
“In its time ELK had the best laminate money could buy. Then GAF bought them and systematically ruined the shingle and the company. Today, the Atlas Pinnacle HP with Scotchgard Protector is the best value for the consumer and has great installation features and a easy, solid, no-frills warranty to sell for the contractor.”
“Owens Corning Duration with that beautiful sure nail strip!!”
“The Malarkey line is really good as well. Especially since they redesigned the Highlander which had terrible problems. GAF use to be good but now there shingles look terrible and have streaking lines and color patches that look terrible! They widened the nail zone but that didn’t widen the tru or common bond area. In the NW. IKO and Tamko are bottom of the barrel. I have seen a good change in the Atlas line lately…”
“GAF Timberline/HD shingles”
“It will be a slugfest in here. However, GAF Timberline/HD shingles. 200 Consecutive roofs, 3 cities, 1 issue. And the house saw wind 1 day after install. 5/12, too cold for strips to seal. No complaints here. Before, we used 100% CertainTeed for 300+. No issues.””
Restoration Resourcing, LLC
“I really like Owens corning duration for reg asphalt”
“For higher end Berkshire. Grand manor. Presidentials.But I would really like to get my hands on malarkey. Haven’t had them NEPA”
“Malarkey- Vista, in particular.”
Malarkey- Vista, in particular. We have used most major major manufactures through the years (OC Duration would be my 2nd pick) but stone coated steel is where it’s at!”
A very unscientific flamethrower video for fun (Euroshield vs F-Wave)
Having had the chance to talk to Euorshield and F-wave recently, I think there are great parts about both shingles as they are both synthetic and class-4 hail resistant (the strongest hail qualification.)
Future Award: F-Wave Plastic Shingle
- Has a higher fire rating
- Very clean and slim profile
- Appears more like normal asphalt shingles
- Made of a large percentage of recycled plastic.
- Cons: They sell it like it’s self-healing with heat, but it appears that’s not likely under normal sun conditions. (They demonstrate it with a heat gun.)
- Cons: Unconfirmed but some have stated that the color fades.
Future Award: Euroshield Rubber Shingle
- From our very unscientific tests, seems to stand up to most extreme damage better
- Has a really good looking aesthetic as well.
- More likely to last a long, long time than almost any other shingle.
- Cons: Very strong rubber smell if you’re ever storing inside.
Factor in cost: Pricing of the best roofing shingles
The prices for these shingles are not directly listed on the manufacturer’s websites. The price often depends on the specific product, location, and the cost of installation.
Here are some general price ranges based on typical costs for roofing shingles that contractors might pay for raw cost of material:
- Malarkey roofing shingles: These are considered premium shingles, so you can expect to pay a bit more. The cost is typically between $110 to $200 per square (100 sq ft).
- Atlas roofing shingles: The price for these shingles typically ranges from $80 to $150 per square.
- GAF Timberline shingles: These are some of the most popular shingles on the market, and they typically cost between $80 to $120 per square.
- Owens Corning Duration Shingles: These are also quite popular and range in price from $80 to $120 per square.
Note: These are rough estimates and the actual prices can vary depending on various factors. It’s best to reach out to local suppliers or contractors for specific quotes in your area.
For synthetic options like F-Wave plastic shingles and Euroshield rubber shingles, they are generally more expensive than traditional asphalt shingles, sometimes costing 2-3 times more. Again, prices can vary significantly depending on the specific product and installation costs, so it’s best to get a quote from a local contractor for the most accurate pricing.
Roofers – what’s your favorite shingle?
If you have the insider view on what shingles, answer these questions in the comments:
- What shingles hold up the best under normal conditions?
- What shingles look the best from the street?
- What shingles resist storms the best?
Comment below on this post, and we’ll include a highlight from your share in the article, and link back to your company website if you offer value!
Thank you for reading “Best Roofing Shingles for 2022 | Reviews from Real Roofers” – I hope it’s been useful to you!