Angie’s List has a strong history, I remember 7 years ago when I first put my business on there and had a decent if perhaps a little underwhelming experience. But I’ve had small business clients get serious amounts of business off of Angie’s List so I went hunting for contractors and small businesses experience. Does Angie’s List get them leads?
- Though the overwhelming majority of businesses were negative, there are 2 below that talk about the positives.
- It seems SOME businesses were extremely successful on Angie’s List, though they were also very aggressive about getting reviews.
- We strongly suggest OWNING your lead-generation systems with your website and SEO, rather than relying on any third-party.
Reddit’s take on Angie’s List
Some hot takes from Youtube
3 Harsh Angie’s List Reviews from Consumer Affairs
“Please feel free to reach out to me at **. I signed up as a roofing/remodeling company contractor with Angie’s List in March! I received a total of 9 leads of which 4 were fake unverified leads that I could not even reach. The other 5 were just window shopping. I was only able to schedule 3 out of the 5 for an appointment. 2 were not actually ready to do anything, just wanted quotes and only 1 may potentially be a customer. I have reached out to Angie’s List with my disappointment and received 0 acknowledgement from the Angie’s List team. Once they sign you up for a year then instead of trying to help or work something out, the only communication I receive is more junk advertisement attempts to get more money from me. Be careful, I would stay clear of this company. Complete waste of time and money!” – Dmitry of Naples, FL
“Don’t waste your hard money with Liars and Losers. No leads, no customers and it is a 12 months contract. Don’t sign anything from them. They are owned by HomeAdvisor that is the same owner of the old leads scammers ServiceMagic. STAY AWAY!!!!”- MARCOS of Westborough, MA
“I’ve been an Angie’s List pro for about 2 months. Even though I was running my business on my own for a while I decided to stop due to a family emergency. I attempted to cancel my subscription and they are trying to charge me $1,000+ for a service I no longer need and THIS WAS NEVER DISCUSSED ON MY INITIAL SIGN UP. They never tell you this upfront! It’s either that or continue to pay 300.00 a month for a business I no longer have and advertisement they are NO LONGER PROVIDING!” – Gerlinda of Boynton Beach, FL
It’s not all bad – some good Angie’s List Reviews
Angie’s list has been the best advertising outlet we have ever used and we have serviced 1000s of customers through them. One of the problems I see with the people that complain is with the provider, not Angie’s list. If you are Dealing with a A rated company or an F rated one, it’s up to you and all you have to do is go on their page and write a review about the service. The Reason we have GREAT reviews is because we take care of our customers and they in turn give us GOOD REVIEWS. – Charlie of Millbrook, AL
A very insightful response to ‘Why is Angie’s List so terrible?’ on Quora
Well, I’m not going to say it’s terrible.
But I will say this:
For every person who says that Angie’s list is great, another says how awful they are. It’s tricky business. I know people who love Angie’s List and I know others who won’t touch it.
So what do you do with conflicting info? You look at data at scale.
There are some industry benchmarks you can look at to decide if an online lead source like Thumbtack is worth trying out (and paying for.)
A few things you need to consider:
- Cancellation Rates –Some sources have over a 50% cancellation rate. No joke. For example, Bing had a cancellation rate of 54% in 2018. That’s crazy. (While Angie’s List was only 11%.) You’ll need a source with as low of a cancellation rate as possible.
- Price per job –Some sources are going to average you a much higher price per job than others. You’ll definitely want to invest in those.
- Source Usage –Are other contractors joining or fleeing this source in droves? This can indicate that a source is going well (and it’s receiving great word-of-mouth) or that a source is really not working out. For example, almost +38% more contractors started using Home Advisor in 2018 than in 2017, and -17% less contractors used Angie’s list in 2018 than from 2017.
You’re welcome to read this cool report that came out, where 3,500 Home Service Businesses were surveyed.
You can find out about a lot of industry trends there and decide for yourself whether it’s a scam:
Here’s a really cool list of over 50+ online lead generation sources for Contractors, if you’re in the market for new ad sources:
– Vanessa Purples, on Quora
And from an anonymous Angie’s List employee on Quora:
“Going Anon on this, as Iaman Angie’s List employee, and I don’t want to give you a cookie-cutter answer.
Truth of the matter is that a slow roll-out of a new UX is occurring as you read this. Give it six more months, and the website and mobile apps should be more finely tuned and intuitive in functionality.
Canceling your membership doesn’t require a phone call. You can always send a quick email to memberservices (AT) angieslist (DOT) com, and you should have no issues getting your membership cancelled. There’s no user-end ability to do this, because sometimes members want to cancel for troubleshoot-able issues.
I would recommend using the email address I mentioned previously to contact Angie’s List directly. It might seem like a “ripoff” to pay for these services, but after some of the horror stories I’ve seen come through about businesses in various markets across the US, it helps to have a mediator for those rare situations when everything goes completely wrong.” – Anonymous Employee, Quora
So what’s the alternative to Angie’s List?
1. NextDoor App – find remodeling and other contractor jobs for free.
2. Thumbtack – get service based leads for relatively cheap.
3. Your Website + Industrial Strength SEO – Ideally you build your website into a traffic magnet.
If you’re curious about how we help companies increase leads coming in on their website, with our powerful long-term SEO strategy – send us a message now to get started!
Get a Free Instant SEO Audit