What’s more vulnerable than being at the mercy of the marketing agency you hired to improve your SEO strategy? You don’t know why you aren’t getting the expected results or even if the company is cheating you.
Since success in your SEO boils down to the expertise of the agency you’ll partner with, you might want to learn the basics to follow through with their work. Curious about the right steps to hiring a marketing company for your roofing business? Don’t worry; you’re in the right place!👍
Online marketing agencies will always claim to be current, even though SEO trends are always changing. That’s why as a business owner, you can’t afford to fall into the wrong hands. Here are three questions you want to ask yourself before picking an agency:
- Do you need an SEO agency? If yes,
- How do you identify one that’s trustworthy? And,
- How do you consistently ensure they keep their end of the bargain?
You’ll need our roofing SEO agency hiring tips when searching for a marketing company for your business. Stick around as we’ll guide you through each question!
Table of Contents
Do you Need an SEO Agency?
To build a strong SEO strategy, you need an agency that specializes in SEO-related services. SEO agencies help strengthen your online visibility by improving your online presence, so you can rank above the competition. Thus, you can direct more traffic to your website by effectively pitching your site as the most relevant in search results.
Most SEO agencies offer a range of services which mainly include:
1. On-Page SEO services that improve the elements of your website that directly influence SEO. They achieve this by helping you define your SEO goals. Other related services include:
- Keyword analysis and research
- Content analysis and improving your content quality
- Internal link structuring
- Content marketing
2. Off-page SEO Services that indirectly affect your ranking in search results. They include-
- Competitor Analysis
- Your online presence on multiple digital platforms.
3. Other technical SEO services which involve more factors, including
- URL Link structure
- Site speed
- Restructuring of website design
- Overall website performance
For a large website with many needs, you could delegate the SEO management to someone who can keep up with the latest trends, tools, and training. Hence, a professional SEO agency is your best bet if you want to scale your website without bothering with all the technical jargon yourself.
So as you vet agencies to work with, things will be a lot easier for you if you already know what excellent service looks like before hiring a marketing agency for your roofing business.
How to Identify a Trustworthy SEO Agency When Hiring
Once you have settled on your need for an SEO expert, the next step is finding the right agency to hire. Of course, the agency you decide on plays a huge role in your business’s future by determining the results you will get.
And with so many agencies, this step is no walk in the park. So how can you know what the right agency looks like when hiring a marketing company for your roofing business? Here are some to-dos you must tick off your checklist during the hiring process:
1. Check Their Website
While this might seem like an unlikely place to start, the first way to spot a bad agency is by checking its website. An excellent measure of this is the quality of the content on their website.
A good SEO company should be able to apply the same principles and strategies they want to use for your business to their own website. Don’t you think so? If they don’t already have good content, they probably can’t produce good content for you.
Another measure of this is their online visibility. How well are they ranking for keywords about their niche? If you can’t find them in a basic search on Google, it’s a sign that they might be the wrong company to employ.
2. Check Out Some of their Previous Jobs
Don’t be swayed by their use of SEO jargon, fat promises, and claims if there are no results to back them up. A trustworthy agency should be able to walk you through their experience in their past jobs and with past clients.
They should also be able to share some of their successful campaigns, the current website ranking of their past client, etc. Also, a proper look into this would tell you if they have the experience required to meet the SEO demands of your industry.
Anyone can say a thing or two about SEO marketing from what they see online. But a professional company should be able to show that they actually deliver on their promises.
3. Watch out for Unreasonable Promises
Be highly wary of agencies that guarantee anything that doesn’t align with the conventional SEO process. For instance, a company that boasts that;
- you would rank for any keyword you choose,
- you would rank within a month or anything less than 90 days,
- they can do a one-time fix for all your SEO needs!😅
Why? Because it’s not that simple, and any legit agency would know that! Search engines consider over 200 factors when ranking website pages to ensure they bring up the closest match for a user’s search.
Additionally, ranking a page is a process, not a one-off thing. Ideally, it takes a minimum of 90 days for your SEO campaign to yield such tangible results. And even when you make it to the number one spot, you could get displaced the next day if you don’t maintain the process. Or be de-indexed if Google finds out that you are cutting corners.
4. Keep off Low-priced SEO Packages
When hiring a marketing company for your roofing business, you’ll find that quality SEO isn’t cheap. It involves a lot of effort that you would pay for, including proper industry analysis, content restructuring, off-page optimization, and other efforts.
So another check you must make is to ensure that you are not deceived by ‘special discounts and low-priced’ SEO packages. A company that promises a cheap $200 package, for instance, would do the bare minimum, which can cause more harm to your online presence in the long run.
5. Ensure they Have a Communication Plan
Every agency knows that a communication plan is one of the most fundamental ways of keeping a company accountable. So a good SEO agency should not just be able to provide the contacts of whoever handles your site; they must also be able to spell out a schedule for periodic reports, i.e., monthly, weekly, etc. It’s not advisable to entrust your company to an agency that doesn’t have plans to carry you along.
How to Monitor Your SEO Agency
After hiring a marketing company for your roofing business, you need to monitor your progress to ensure you are getting your money’s worth. Here, you’ll get tips that can help you keep your agency accountable.
1. Check for Results
The most visible way to measure this is to keep a tab on how many calls, website visitors, or sign-ups you receive from organic search. If your company’s goals were to generate more leads nine months from the start date, how well have you hit those goals?
Although this depends on the type of marketing or advertising you sign up for, you should check in with them if you’re still waiting to see results after a reasonable time frame.
2. Follow their Periodic Reports
While most agencies would assure you they’re holding up their end of the bargain, the results are not usually immediate. So one way to be sure they are doing what they’ve said they would do is by checking their reports.
This report should be easy to understand and spell out their efforts towards increasing your company’s bottom line goals.
A good SEO agency should be able to make recommendations, even when they’re yet to meet the overarching SEO goals. Such suggestions help you know the area you can further strengthen to improve your efforts.
3. Check your Webpage’s Metrics through a Reporting Tool.
You can also utilize an SEO tool like SEMrush to check your site metrics. Most of these tools may provide the estimated organic traffic and the keywords associated with your site. If there is an upward trend, then you can be sure they are doing the right thing.
4. Watch your Website for Signs of Lousy SEO Campaigns
A fundamental grasp of SEO would help you spot a lousy SEO campaign. And two standard pointers are:
- Content quality and,
What kind of content are they utilizing on your page? Are they just applying words that don’t convert? You might want to check the content on your competitors’ pages to be sure!
On the other hand, the kinds of links they backlink your page to, or vice versa, could determine if you are going anywhere. You will only drive the right kind of traffic if they link your page well. No-go links are:
- links from unauthorized websites,
- pages that are written in poor English,
- sites irrelevant to your niche,
- links from pages with a large number of equally promotional links,
- link building outsourced abroad,
- Pages with pictures with no alt tags, etc.
Quick summary of holding your SEO agency accountable:
- Establish Clear Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) Before partnering with an SEO agency, it’s crucial to establish clear Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that align with your business goals. These KPIs could include metrics such as organic search traffic, keyword rankings, conversion rates, or revenue generated from organic search. By defining these KPIs upfront and discussing them with the agency, you ensure that both parties are on the same page regarding expectations and desired outcomes. Regularly reviewing these KPIs throughout your partnership will help you gauge the agency’s performance and hold them accountable for delivering measurable results.
- Request Regular Strategy Updates To stay informed about the progress of your SEO campaign, it’s essential to request regular strategy updates from your agency. These updates should outline the tasks completed, milestones achieved, and the overall strategy moving forward. By receiving these updates, you can assess whether the agency is following through on their proposed plan and making meaningful progress toward your goals. Additionally, it allows you to provide feedback, ask questions, and ensure that your SEO strategy remains aligned with your evolving business needs.
- Monitor Keyword Rankings and Organic Traffic -A significant part of holding your SEO agency accountable involves monitoring keyword rankings and organic traffic to your website. Keep an eye on the keywords you’re targeting and track their rankings in search engine results pages (SERPs) over time. If there is a consistent upward trend, it indicates that the agency’s efforts are positively impacting your website’s visibility. Similarly, monitoring organic traffic will give you insights into whether your website is attracting more visitors from search engines. Analyzing these metrics regularly will help you evaluate the effectiveness of the agency’s optimization strategies.
- Seek Transparency in Reporting – Transparency is key when it comes to working with an SEO agency. Request detailed reports that provide a transparent overview of the agency’s activities, progress, and results. These reports should include data on website traffic, keyword rankings, backlinks acquired, and any other relevant SEO metrics. A trustworthy agency will be open about their methodologies and provide you with comprehensive reports that allow you to assess their performance. If an agency is hesitant to share detailed reports or fails to provide clear explanations, it may be a red flag indicating a lack of transparency.
- Regularly Evaluate Return on Investment (ROI) – Ultimately, the success of your SEO campaign should be measured by its impact on your business’s bottom line. Regularly evaluate the return on investment (ROI) you’re achieving from your partnership with the SEO agency. Assess how the agency’s efforts have contributed to increased revenue, leads, or conversions. By analyzing the ROI, you can determine whether the agency’s services are providing tangible value and justify the investment you’re making in their services. If you find that the ROI is not meeting your expectations, it may be time to reassess the partnership or explore alternative options.
Remember, holding your SEO agency accountable is essential to ensure that you are investing your time and resources in the right place. By implementing these strategies and regularly assessing the agency’s performance, you can build a transparent and successful partnership that drives meaningful results for your business.
Working with a professional SEO agency is your best bet for cutting the learning curve involved in handling your company’s SEO yourself. But it’s not enough reason for you to be clueless about the service. You should know enough to ensure that you are getting the right results.
So whether you’ve hired an SEO agency yet or not, keep these tips handy for when you are hiring a marketing company for your roofing business.
Hook Agency specializes in cutting-edge SEO marketing, so we love talking about this, and we’d love to hear from you. Reach out today or check out other SEO articles on our blog.