It’s no secret that it can be difficult to get started in the roofing industry. One of the many issues is having the right plan to get started. There are many things to consider, such as where you’re going to get your customers from or how you will become profitable.
Given that this business has so much working against getting started, we’ve simplified the process by giving you a simple 5-part strategy for starting your own roofing business.
Define Your Business Goals
Before you begin, make sure you have clearly defined your business goals. Setting specific targets makes it far easier to measure your progress and keep yourself from getting frustrated along the way. Some of those goals might include:
- Number of customers you expect to have at the end of your first year
- Number of jobs you plan on completing by quarter
- Percentage increase in the number of customers and jobs completed each month.
With a clear view of what’s expected, you’ll be able to track your progress easily and meet your goals with minimal frustration.
Determine Your Target Market
Now that you’ve narrowed down your goals as a roofing business owner, try to determine who your target market will be. For example, while roofing services are often thought of as a local business, this might not necessarily be the case for you.
The majority of potential customers will likely be those living around the company’s location. However, if there are other companies in the area, try to see who their customers are and which ones you have the best chance of getting.
- Ask friends and family if they know anyone who might need roofing services.
- Contact local organizations, like churches or daycares, to see if they have any referrals for you.
- Take an inventory of area homes that are in disrepair — you never know what sort of business opportunity could be there.
Choose A Market Niche
Another way to increase your odds of success is to narrow down the area you plan on targeting. You can do this by choosing a specific market niche that will be easier for you to fill than merely trying to go after everyone. In addition, you should try to fill a niche that’s not already being served to give yourself an advantage.
Some niches include:
- Apartment complex owners
- Business owners
- Warehouse owners
Develop A Marketing Strategy
Now that you’ve defined your target market and chosen a niche, it’s time to develop a marketing strategy. For roofing businesses, this can be tricky since most people aren’t going to look for someone to replace their roofs. However, if you put excellent quality into your marketing and properly present yourself, you’ll be able to turn up new customers.
How are you going to market? Will it be through online ads or direct mail? Maybe both will work for you, or perhaps neither will. The only way to honestly know is by testing both methods and seeing which is more profitable.
Some things you may want to consider include:
- Flyer drops in neighborhoods that surround your business
- Sending out letters to all of the people listed in the target market’s area code
- Getting on a reputable contractor list
- Keeping an active social media presence on all social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
Calculate Costs and Set Prices
Once you’ve decided on your target market, niche, and marketing plan, the next step in your roofing business plan is to calculate costs and set prices. Again, this is pretty straightforward but can be a little bit more complicated when first starting out.
To set your prices, consider the following:
- The materials you plan on using
- Labor costs
- Any permits or licensing fees needed for your business
- Costs for marketing and sales
- Roofing equipment
By following the steps laid out in this roofing business plan guide, you can significantly increase your chances of succeeding with your new roofing business. As long as you can develop a strong marketing plan and stick with it while also keeping costs low and prices reasonable, there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be successful.
Marketing is everything when it comes to growing a successful roofing company – if you want to drive serious leads, connect with Hook Agency today to get started.