Have this post read to you in a natural voice, so you can do other things:
Other construction consultants our literally out there telling people to relax, and take care of some household projects.
I don’t know about you, but my business wasn’t created by relaxing and knocking out my honey-do list every time there was a setback.
In fact, when the going got tough – I got tougher. And I’d guess that if you lasted through the last recession, you probably didn’t take it easy when that hit hard either. If you can’t go out and physically do your work (Construction is essential services in most states) then your marketing may play a role in your resilience and profitability on the tail end of this thing, and there’s a ton you can do.
Advance while others retreat
What do you do when all of your competitors are pulling out of ads – stepping back their marketing budgets, or getting totally distracted by the crisis. Not only do you want to tighten up your structure, your systems for managing your business and your proven processes – you also want to cut surgically, and spend money where there are surges happening. (Like the internet and internet marketing, where everyone is now spending their time.)
- Facebook video, and promoting it. (Cost per click is way down)
- Focus on your company brand more than the transaction.
- Build out your blog posts, FAQ’s, about pages, get your photos on your site updated.
Lack of tracking and lack of clarity in your message are the biggest marketing mistakes
First of all – if you’re not actually pushing hard on your marketing – that’s your biggest mistake, but lack of tracking and clarity are the bigger ones, since it’s more likely if you’re reading this – you’re a smart business owner who care’s about your marketing.
- Spending with no clear ROI. (Track what works and double down – with Google analytics)
- Taking disjointed random stabs and not being consistent with habits/systems. (Make sure your website is persuasive and has proven systems in place for more traffic & conversion. )
- Confusing people with lack of an unclear story & value proposition (Tighten up your message with a tool like Storybrand Brandscript, get some core messages and use them for everything.)
Contractors need to do these 3 things when Social Media Marketing
I know the first thing many contractors think of when it comes to internet marketing is social media. So here are 3 ways to make sure you come out on the other side of the COVID-19 lockdown, better than before you went into it.
- Get a system in place for getting photos of finished work, in-progress, and before & after out at least weekly.
- Engage! (it’s a 2-way platform – respond to every comment) You have to really be present and having conversations to win there.
- You have to build an audience – not just put out content. You’re wrong if you think – if you build it they will come (up to 10x the return by spending a couple of hundred bucks monthly to promote your best content, especially now)
Hire a company that can get you more website traffic & leads
We know what we’re doing to getting more traffic and leads – and our contractors are still getting leads, even when they can’t shake as many hands or do any in-person networking. If you want to see how we use content marketing and SEO to get more and better leads without a ton of your time, send us a message now!
Thanks for reading!
Watch this quick video to see how savvy businesses save time and hook better leads: