Web designing! As the name suggests, it includes all the process you require to design a web including website layout, proper fonts, suitable size and size, interface design, search engine, website structure etc. Besides effective web designing, maintenance and frequently updating a website are also an important factor of web designing.
The ultimate goal of any website is to have a maximum number of visitors per day that turns into regular customers but we all know there are multiple numbers of websites that are launched every day but only a few of them get successful. The reason is simply that designing a web requires paying attention to multiple dimensions and also satisfying your client’s subconscious and conscious so that they are not hesitant to write your website’s name in the web search bar next time. Today we will shed a light on some of the mistakes that you might be making in your web design and how can we fix it.
1. Messy and unattractive Website Layout
The first and the foremost important thing to avoid is to create a disorganized and messy layout. It is commonly believed that a user only takes about 0.5 sec of time to decide whether he/she is willing to stay on this page any longer or not and since we want them to stay, go easy on the eyes. This means:
- Don’t add too many pictures side by side. And if your website demands too many pictures, keep a good distance between them or at least avoid it to display on the front page.
- Don’t use fonts that are too small or colored yellow or in any other unreadable pattern. Use the font with X-heights like Caslon, Garamond. Ideally, the font size should be 12, 14 or 16 and the color should be black.
- Don’t use too many animations. The animation does sound cool but the greatest disadvantage is it slows your website plus too many of those just give an attractive look.
2. Poor Resolution
As we already mentioned, you have to go easy on the eyes which means keep a good resolution is also a very important thing to keep in mind. Since this is a generation of smartphone, you want a resolution that also fit on the screen of a smartphone. 1024 x 768 pixels is currently considered as an optimal option. To get a better idea about screen resolution, use:
- Google analytics– Using this tool gives you an idea of users percentage using browser size and Screen resolution.
- W3 Schools Browser Stats- Provides popularity and other important statistics about any browser of your choice.
- DON’T use DPI (Dot per inch)- DPI is very important for print but has no importance in web layout. So do yourself a favor and skip this step.
3. Forgetting the Search Engine
When a client is coming to your webpage, they are obviously looking for something, an advertisement, a blog, a video etc. Adding a search engine can make their task easy and save a lot of their time eventually giving your site a positive response. Now you can install a search engine with various methods:
- Use Pearl Search Engine or PHP search Engine. The greatest advantage of which is that you will not have any content from the third party.
- Use Google Custom Search Engine. Though it has some disadvantages it is free of charge and it works absolutely fine. All you to have to do is copy the HTML code and paste on your website.
4. Dull Content
As strange as it sounds but it’s actually true that most of the people spend hours and hours to design the perfect website layout and add good, readable fonts and make their website eye-catching yet they mostly end up with fewer views. Which takes us to our next step i.e. Quality content. Make sure whatever you are updating your website should be:
- New- Try to add more facts and opinion than mentioned in other similar sites.
- Updated- Keep updating your content with time. The last thing you want to give people is old information when an updated version is present.
- Correct- It’s acceptable to add your opinions but don’t change truths and facts.
- And lastly, DON’T plagiarize information from other sites.
To evaluate if your content is strong enough to hold the attention of the viewers, all you have to do is check “rates for visitors”. This will give you an idea of if people are taking actions on-site and staying for a longer duration or not.
5. Substandard Navigation System
Navigation helps the user to connect to different pages within your website. Some designers use hyperlinking a word, others prefer one-page layout. Whatever method you’re using make sure it’s easy and constant on all pages. You don’t want to make your customer confused. Keep the following points in mind to improve your site’s navigation:
- Accurate: Don’t add fancy names. Don’t exaggerate. Links like “Best wardrobe of the Century” or “Coolest thing of the decade” may sound best to attract the viewers but if your links don’t end up providing your user what they were looking for, it ultimately gives a bad impression.
- Clickable links: Make sure all headings, subheadings, and keywords are clickable links.
- ALT text: Use ALT text for images. It gives the user a better idea of the image, Also if the images take a while to display ALT text helps to understand what the picture was about in the first place.
- Specific: Though it’s true that clicking multiple links means more “action on the web”, it’s actually not a positive point. Most people leave if they can’t find valuable information is 1-2 minutes or two to three clicks. So be specific and lead them to the information they want.
6. Not Knowing Your Customers
Many websites spend so much time on advertising and making accurate ads only to end up with no lead or sales. What are you supposed to do in such a condition? Simply, know your customers and try to keep them engaged in your website. You can do this by following ways:
- Registration: When a user is registering to your website. Ask for their email and also add an option for “interests”. Knowing what interests your customer is the best way to keep them engaged. You can add different advertisement for different interests on the homepage.
- Offers: Attract customers with discounts, free shipping and offers like buy 1 get 1 free. This will ensure more sales and money.
7. No Means to Contact you
So many times when people visit a website and they have a query about something or the other, it takes way longer to find that “Contact us” option and honestly half of them leave by that time. Make an easier option for users to access you. Add:
- Phone number: If you run an online business, a phone number is not so important. But it you are run a professional business you should put a phone number on the website. Try to add a landline number and mention a time of your availability.
- Email address: Sometimes a phone number is too much and let’s be honest people can keep calling you for unnecessary minor details. In such a case adding an email address is the best option. You can respond to multiple people with same complains at a time and it saves the time of talking and repeating the same thing with each client.
Make sure both of them are written on the top-right corner of your website so it’s easy to find and easy to contact you.
- Chat Box: One of the most used and definitely popular trends you will see in the website are side chat box. It’s a great medium to talk to the designers on the spot. They can ask you any questions they need answered and quickly make a decision. This utility serves great in terms of sales and online store‘s web pages.
8. Doesn’t open on Mobile
We have already mentioned the importance of a website to work on a phone. According to a survey, over 60% searches happen on a phone. With that being said, you need a website that not only opens on phone but also doesn’t lag but also remember the primary tool for making a web design is a laptop or a desktop, so you definitely Don’t want to compromise the quality of website on a desktop as well. People starting a blog often neglect this; their blog is only optimized for desktop use leaving around 70% audience from mobile phones.
How to make sure your website is mobile friendly?
- Webmaster Tool: Using a webmaster tool helps you to see how your website looks on a smartphone which can also help you to make changes accordingly.
- Mobile Stimulators: Mobile Emulators and Simulators are the most useful tools for increasing speed of your website even when using a smartphone.
Again remember, if your website doesn’t open for 5 seconds there are high chances that user will leave and never come back.
9. Too Much Creativity with Interface Design
The keyword here is “Too much”. Being creative is good, if not it’s honestly the most important thing for a website. Especially these days with repetitive patterns and layouts but then, some designers take it to another level and get “Too much” creative and add different designs to every page. Not only is that confusing but it’s also very annoying. People like consistency and they like not to be chaotic. How to ensure good interface design?
- Standard template: Use a great template but use only one for all the pages. Additionally, use links that can direct back to the homepage.
- Simple: It has been said enough times but Simplicity is the key. Keep your design visually attractive but keep it simple.
10. No Frequent Analysis
After putting so much effort in designing a website if you are not analyzing its progress then you will never know which areas require improvement and you will keep on wondering why my website has a limited amount of viewers. Analyzing your website helps you discover which pages are unresponsive or broken, flaws in the content, loss of a client and reasons associated with it. Overall, it is also important to conduct a thorough analysis of your website downtime, speed, and other factors. The best web hosting always ensures that a website is up for 99.999% of the time.
All in all, it’s a great way to improve the beautiful website you have made with so much hard work. You can use following ways to analyze your website:
- How are people navigating? Digging down the data and looking at how users are navigating your website gives almost an accurate way to measure website’s progress.
- Surveys: There is nothing better than asking people directly what they found was lacking? Make a short, 2-minute survey and add things that you think people might like and distinguish you from your competition. Analyze the collected data from the survey to look into the problem.
- Email: As we already mentioned the importance of leaving your email on the webpage. This also gives people a media through which they can critique you and help you learn your flaws.
These are the common 10 mistakes that people make in a web design. There are multiple others like adding music in the background, no call to actions, unnecessary pop-ups, broken links etc. that can lag your goal to create a successful website. Hopefully, if you avoid doing things that are mentioned above, update your website regularly and stay dedicated to your work there is nothing stopping you from having a successful web design.
Get a Free Instant SEO Audit
Watch this quick video to see how savvy businesses save time and hook better leads: